In have discused on the site some of the recognised project management approach used. This post explores the 2 key Project Management approaches, Prince2 ® & PMBOK, how MyGantt has adopted some aspects and where it differs.
These two approaches are in fact not competing project management standards as many think. Prince2 ® and PMBOK adopt two different approaches to managing a project and by their nature they can complement each other in many ways. PMBOK is a knowledge-based approach that covers the subject of project management, which is extremely useful. Prince2 ® is a process-based approach to project management. It provides a process model (of eight processes) that is intended to be applied as a set of steps in a logical sequence by a project manager in planning and managing a project.
PMBOK can be summarised as an approach that provides information on what a project manager needs to know, whereas Prince2 ® demonstrates how to apply this knowledge. The following links contain more detail on the subject;
Following are some high level perspective on the differences and some of the similarities.
- MyGantt has adopted some of the PMBOK knowledge components for many deliverables. This knowldege has been imbeded in the site onpgaes covering different aspects of project control.
- MyGantt uses stages to structure the project, not dissimilar to what Prince2 ®, though MyGantt has less and uses more waterfall approach, while Prince2 ® has about eight with combination of waterfall and iterative
- MyGantt is a lot smaller and less demanding to adopt. Prince2 ® as about 45 distinct process, while PMBOK has 37. Even though these approaches can be tailored to suit a project, it would require a lot of experience to make the appropriate judgement.
- MyGantt has incorporated Change Management to ensure there is more focus on the impact of the project on the organisations and stakeholders.
- Prince2 PMBOK Relationship (ppi-int.com)
- Prince2 PMP PMBOK Comparison (hilogic.com.my)
- PMBOK or PRINCE … which one is better? (prince2msp.com)